Wow, that’s a big question, and one I’m not going to answer today. Instead, I want to announce a new series of posts I’d like to kick off in April.
I want to explore why genre writers write the stories they do. Why, for example, write fantasy? Why write for teens? Why write romance, or why write erotica? Why write horror? What is it about these stories that compels writers to tell them, and what is it that readers love to find in them?
So, to help me answer some of these questions, I’m looking for a series of writers at all stages of publishing—agented, querying, self-published, traditionally-published—to come here to Kristin’s Fantasies and chat with me about why they chose their particular genre and what about it gives them joy.
Specifically, I’m looking for writers in these genres:
- epic fantasy
- graphic novels
- urban fantasy
- Young Adult
- New Adult
- chick lit
- any genre in between or unlisted
Really, if your book can be put on a shelf (even an imaginary shelf, like “Literary Fiction”), I want you to talk to me about that particular shelf and what you find there.
How it’ll work:
- You send me a message, Tweet, or comment saying you want in, what genre you write, and an email address.
- I send you an email and we figure out when your post will run.
- I send you some questions, you reply, I send some follow-up questions, and we have an e-mail conversation like friends.
- Alternatively, you can write a little essay. We’ll talk!
- I run the post here on the date we decided.
What you get out of it:
Promotion! Connections with other writers! A chance to talk about your work and books in general! An e-hug! A blog post you can reblog someday when you don’t feel like writing a new post!
So… who wants to play??